This last week has seen some quite positive changes:
We now think we can go up to 250K house price, which makes quite a difference.
On the other hand that involves a very large monthly payment so if we can find something under 210K that would be good.
Having investigated a cheaper area of Lewes with a reputation of being 'rough' we've realized it's no rougher than most bits of Brighton that we've happily lived/worked/socialized in, it's just 'rough' in Lewes terms, which would be 'lah-de-effing-da' in some places.
So we can look for bargains in that area, there are some fairly spacious houses there. It also has a bus route and rumours of a corner shop, which are things I would like to have, but it's close enough to the central shops and to the other little run of shops near where J works. I quite fancy that area - it was built before people became car-dependent so it has more of a sociable feel to it, whereas the newer estate out Malling way has some of those features of an area where people were never expected to want to walk from their houses to anywhere, especially with a buggy or a toddler (not that I'm in that position now - just that that's how people used to bump into their neighbours). So you don't get much in the way of pavement or road safety features or local shops.
Blah blah oops, kicks soapbox back under sofa.
So I'm kind of favouring that area at the moment. The area we are in now is also good but there aren't many houses coming up in our price bracket and you get a bit less for your money. Still would be worth considering though, as would a few other areas in between which are less likely/favourable.
We looked at a house out to the East in a long road between the main out-road and an estate - always thought this road was a bit industrial but actually there are some really nice parts.
This house had some good features. It had a widened garage with loads of storage, power and light, accessible from kitchen, which would have made a good studio space for J. Kitchen was OK, good features, funny shape but nice. Bedrooms and living rooms OK. Garden a bit un-family with all pepples and raised beds and such.
We were seriously considering making an offer when the woman living there suddenly told us that a house was going to be built next door and that 'when the floods came' (a phrase you hear a lot here, bit biblical I always think), it was under 8 feet of water. Could see the estate agent thinking 'never book viewings when she's here'. Putting some other evidence together it turned out she was renting from ex-husband who was now selling and off to Spain for a new life - a fraught situation bound to generate some sabotaging behaviour I guess! Overall there weren't enough positives to outweigh the negatives.
So we continue our search, now including the 'rough' area, hoping to find somewhere with some of the features we've liked in houses so far: potential studio space (garage or other extra room), at least one of the bedrooms to be large, adequate downstairs space for dining area, rear garden with lawn, view.
14.1.07
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Oh I daresay it'll be a rollercoaster.
Sorry to inflict light on dark on your delicate eyes - you'll have to just select all the text so it goes negative when you want to read it!
I did think that by choosing a variety of greens I was bound to get at least one if not all that someone hated and called 'puke green'.
The more I think about the 'rougher' area, the more I like it.
yeah I'm not a fan of estates either and despite always having had a car I do like to have a shop and post office walkable - a town / proper parade of shops is even better :)
I don't mind the template, reminds me of early computers :)
I have typical Brighton ignorance about all places 'out of town', so I think this will be very interesting.
According to the local paper people in our area are currently 'afraid to walk the streets', after a 'mini riot'. Needless to say we have heard nothing about it and the area seems to be same as always!
Nah! Very quiet.
Ugh about the mattresses. Grim.
Post a Comment